THE CWA COMES TO COLLINGWOOD!
We are proud to be one of the newest branches of the Victorian CWA and we love new members.
We meet together regularly to support our community, enjoy friendship and hone our crafts. Our members have already joined the ranks of CWA prize winners for outstanding cooking, knitting and crafts!
At our meetings, we share home cooked treats and craft skills, and we lend our support to local community issues. We are champions of the CWA’s progressive social agenda.
COLLINGWOOD CWA SUPPORTS MANY IMPORTANT LOCAL ISSUES:
- We support social inclusion and actively supported marriage equality, implementing the resolution made at the 2017 CWA State Conference.
- We made a submission (#214) to the Joint Select Committee on Constitutional Recognition relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders in support of the Uluru Statement from the heart and we are supporting the campaign for a First Nation’s Voice: Put it to the People.
- We support local initiatives to assist refugees and women and children affected by family violence.
- We donated a hamper to raffle to raise funds for Residents for Victoria Street Drug Solutions campaign for a trial of a Medically Supervised Injecting Centre.
- We have a big focus living more sustainably and we’re researching, trialling and sharing practical ways to go plastic free.
- We have initiated ‘Barn Yarns’ held in the farm barn – community forums addressing things that matter such as sustainable fashion, a local food share, and animal welfare…
We’ve recently taken up a community garden plot at the Collingwood Children’s Farm to grow, cook and preserve with our neighbours and other community organisations.
We warmly invite local women of all ages to join us at our meetings on the last Monday of each month, evenings 6:00-8:00pm.
We meet at the The old farmhouse at the front gate of the Collingwood Childrens Farm, 18 St Heliers St Abbotsford during daylight saving months and at the Collingwood Library in the cooler months.
WHAT IS THE CWA?
“The Country Women’s Association of Victoria, Inc. is an organisation for country and city women living in Victoria and bordering towns. It is a vibrant Association aiming “to improve conditions by community service more especially as they affect the welfare of women and children”.
The CWA is a self-funded volunteer philanthropic organisation with a focus on friendship, personal development and advocacy. The Association encourages advocating on: community issues; sustainable development and the protection of the environment; and social issues. The CWA also encourages supporting community and taking an interest in the workings of government at all levels. It awards educational grants and scholarships. The CWA was formed on 12 March 1928 and today boasts over 5,600 members. Each member belongs to one of 320 branches state-wide that maintains its own program and is empowered to meet community needs. We are also a member of the Associated Country Women of the World (ACWW), which has non-government organisation status with several United Nations agencies.
“Part of a worldwide network of city and rural women supporting women, children and families”